Today we are going to channel our inner Elsa. As a mother of two young girls, I have watched Frozen at least 100 times. And as everyone knows, Elsa is holding back her true self because she fears what will happen if she is revealed. In the end, Elsa decides not to hold onto this fear and let it go, and then she is free! What would that kind of freedom mean to you?
What do you need to let go of in life?
How many of us hide our true selves out of fear, or keep ourselves from happiness because we are afraid to let go of the old beliefs. However, these old beliefs about ourselves keep us from embracing life and feeling fulfilled.
We worry about what others will think and listen to that voice in our head that tells us we will fail again. When you learn to listen to what that voice is saying to you, you can begin to let it go.
What does the voice in your head say to you?
- This is how it’s always been
- I can’t change
- I will never be successful
- I don’t deserve it
- People will judge me
- I’m not ________ enough (smart, pretty, fit, rich, nice, etc)
- Someone else will do it better than me
- I’m just going to screw it up
Limiting beliefs hold us back from making choices, seeing our strengths, being open to new opportunities, or making changes in our lives. They do not allow us to become who we truly are.
So, how do you Let it Go?
These beliefs have felt true for so long it can be hard to identify them.
- When you hear that voice in your head that makes you feel small or fearful it is important to ask yourself if that thought is true. Where’s the evidence?
- If your thought is based on an event that happened in the past, you can acknowledge that it happened and give yourself permission to let it go.
- Allow yourself to be open to new possibilities – take a class, try a new hobby, explore a career change.
- Reframe your thinking and create a positive belief. For example, when you hear yourself say I can’t do this, ask yourself why not.
- Have a growth mindset instead of a fixed mindset.
- Let go of perfect and be okay with good enough.
- Take action and challenge your old beliefs. Small steps eventually add up to big change!
Similar to Elsa, there might be some backlash after you make the decision to let go. But have faith that what you are doing is right for you. It is time to let it go and search for what makes you shine.